Timi sighed deeply as he disconnected the lengthy call
with his Mum. ‘Darling, Mama said she is coming over by next weekend’, he told
his wife. Adana’s countenance changed automatically. ‘That is good. When
exactly? And how long will she be staying?’, she quickly added when she noticed
my gaze.
‘She did not really specify o; you know Mama now. By next
week, we will know more details. But you know she is coming over to help with
the babies’, I replied. ‘My sister is already around for that, dear. Plus you
know my mother has already arranged to come over by month end. Where would they
all stay?’ she replied with a scowl fast marring her features as she exited our
bedroom. I just quietly decided not to press the issue but I could not help but
wonder why Mama and Adana just did not get along well. They seemed to manage
themselves whenever I am around but even a donkey would sense the tension in
the air. Truth be told, Adana never uttered anything bad about Mama but you
could easily read her despair anytime Mama was around. She even tried to keep
to herself and stay away from anywhere Mama would be. On the other hand, Mama
was not a cooked piece of ponmo. She could be as tough as nails and I am not
talking about fingernails. But to me, it seemed that she tried to like Adana
but my wife was just not meeting her halfway.
We had been married for more than three years and had
been dating for four years before thing the knot. Adana already had a child,
David, when we met. During our courtship, I had pressured her twice to get a
D&C. The guilt of it wanted to swallow us when she kept having miscarriages
after we got married. After five miscarriages, Adana was finally able to carry
this pregnancy to 32 weeks. Her EDD was 4 weeks away and we were trying to take
all precautions to ensure she did not stress herself unduly. She had resigned
from her job some months after we confirmed we were having twins.
‘Daddy! Daddy!’ David ran into the room. ‘Mommy said
lunch is ready. We are eating fried rice and chicken!’ I laughed as David was
trying a dance step that should resemble something from all those music videos
he watches. ‘We ke? It is the first person that gets to the table that will eat
chicken’ I retorted as I dashed out to dining room. Of course, David’s nine
year old legs got him to the dining table faster than my own legs. He literally
crashed landed into his seat as he announced his victory ‘Mommy, I got to the
table first! That means I will eat Daddy’s chicken too!’ My darling smiled at
David’s antics as she arranged the serving dishes in the center of the table.
‘Yeeeee….’ She uttered as her hand went to her back.
‘What’s wrong? Are the twins kicking?’ I jokingly asked. The next scream that
came out of my wife froze my brain cells. She slid to the floor holding her
swollen belly. It seemed we were suspended in time. David kept repeating
‘Mummy, Mummy, what is the matter?’ Time stood still as my wife continued to
writhe in agony while I sat frozen like a statue.
Comments
Post a Comment